What conditions can cause nail fungus and infections?
Nail Fungus — also referred to as Onychomycosis — is caused by an overgrowth of fungi in, under, or on the nail. Some of the most common causes of these fungi are yeast and mould.
There are a number of factors that can lead to the development of Nail Fungus, such as:
- A history of athlete’s foot
- Heavy sweating
- Walking barefoot in damp communal areas, for example, swimming pools and shower rooms
- Circulatory problems
- Other minor skin or nail injuries and conditions, such as Psoriasis
One avoidable danger you can eliminate is ensuring that any nail spas or salons you visit follow the correct sanitation procedures
- Thickened nails
- Discoloration of the nails
- Nails becoming brittle or ragged
- A foul odour
How does the FOX Laser work to treat nail infections?
Fungal infections can be persistent and difficult to remove. Thankfully, innovations in laser technology mean we now have an effective way to treat these difficult conditions.
The precision of laser technology means it can directly eliminate the fungus without harming the surrounding nail tissue — similar technology is commonly used for cataracts, dental surgery, and hair removal.
Your FOX Laser Treatment in 10 Steps
- We examine your foot, as well as taking your medical history in order to check for diabetes, decreased sensation, neuropathy, and other conditions that may affect your treatment.
- The infected area and surrounding skin are cleaned.
- Your nails are trimmed and any nail polish is removed.
- You will be provided with a pair of safety goggles to wear during the laser treatment.
- The FOX Laser beam is slowly moved over the affected area.
- After a few minutes, this process will be repeated.
- A cooling spray is used during treatment.
- We will give you a reflexology-based massage to promote circulation.
- After the treatment, we suggest you bring a fresh pair of socks or footwear to put on.
- You will have 3-4 treatments over the next 4 months — it will then take 12-18 months for the effects to set in and have complete new nail growth. During this time, we recommend applying anti-fungal cream daily in order to avoid reinfection.
Advantages of the FOX Laser Treatment for Nail Fungus
- No anesthesia required.
- When done by a trained technician, it’s a perfectly safe procedure.
- There are no known lasting side effects.
- It does not cause damage to the treated nail or surrounding skin.
- The procedure doesn’t cause pain or discomfort, aside from a mild warming sensation.
- There is no required recovery period afterwards — you’re simply able to get up and get on with your day.
Laser treatment is a non-invasive technique that does not damage adjacent skin, is safe, and requires no downtime after treatment.